This is one of the new projects we are working on. It’s a story / puzzle game that follows the exploits of an eccentric frog named Desi, who is voiced by Riley Martin. The game is an adaptation of the 1884 novel A Rebours by Joris-Karl Huysman.
Amid the chaos and frustration of 2.1 the latest issue of Computer Music was released to news stands. This specific issue is a special dedicated mostly to music apps across different mobile platforms. We were fortunate enough to be included in their showcase and the whole issue is pretty cool in general. Definitely try to get your hands on a copy. There are also some cool editorials on choosing headphones and a feature on different accessories for the iPad musician.
Recently the volume of emails and support requests has increased and the majority of them are asking the same questions:
The answer to this is basically that Apple does now want you to be able to use your iPod library. Applications like Sonorasaurus, and many other music apps, are restricted from using the songs in the iPod library.
We have done everything we can in terms of compromises by including iTunes File sharing and an HTTP Server, but until Apple lifts the iPod library restriction we are not able to give you the most convenient option possible.
Why the restriction is in place continues to baffle us. We have sat and tried to think of pros and cons to give the issue a sense of purpose and balance, but so far nothing seems to go in the CONS column.
Some of the pros are quite obvious:
• The music files are yours and you want to use them as you see fit. The iPod in itself is a way for people to conveniently access their music, so the restriction is a contradiction of terms.
• When people are not able to use their iPod and iTunes library people (especially the DJs) will end up getting music from other sources like Beatport and Juno Download because they can not rely on iTunes and the iPhone / iPad working seamlessly as an option for them to build sets for Sonorasaurus. This must be affecting Apple’s music sales to a degree.
• Most DJs get requests while playing. Being able to access the iPod library directly means they will have an easier time fulfilling these requests because they have the iTunes Store on the go. Again affecting Apple’s music sales.
• This type of access already exists for many programs, like Serato, on the desktop. So a case for applications like ours being problematic for the iPod library and iTunes is unfounded.
If this issue is something that is bothering you or affecting your use of the device and app in a negative way we feel the best solution is to tell Apple directly. The request is really quite simple. You want to use your music files in the ways you desire and access restrictions are unnecessary.
Apple iPad Feedback: link
Apple iPhone Feedback: link
Apple iPod Touch Feedback: link
And it should go without saying that as soon as the restriction is lifted we will give direct iPod access in an update. Until then we have to be patient and make do with options like iTunes File Sharing and HTTP Server access.
We wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has supported us so far. Receiving your feedback and having discussions on ideas has been a great motivating factor as we continue to move forward. It has not been easy at times given the different types of hurdles we have had with restrictions, review processes and piracy but you have made it worth while.
Aside from the encouragement and support we could also use your help. If you could take a moment to give us a rating, write a review or spread the word to friends it would mean a lot to us.
After all we are a very small team and every little bit helps.
Thanks again everyone!
Happy New Year everyone! We are looking forward to 2010 and all the changes it will bring. We would like to thank everyone for their support in 2009!
In honor of the New Year we are offering a few more promo codes for Sonorasaurus (US iTunes Shop only). Please comment and let us know which one you claimed!
- I've just bought your ipad app and am enjoying it greatly. As a software develop... - Mike D
- Great app, great updates! Few suggestions.... How about a way to store what... - Wes
- autosync function? That's really the only thing I'm missing, the rest is nearly ... - Schallkraft
- Hey I'm a Sonorasaurus Rex User since the first release and with every update I'... - Schallkraft
- I agree with The486KID. Processing on a computer would make lots more sense. Als... - songsta
- I'm sorry to hear about how many pirate copies there are relative to the paid co... - David
- Hej mina svenska vänner! Greetz from Portland, OR! I been loving REX, using ... - the486kid
- The art and the music are both so good!... - ediep